Monday, May 2, 2011

soul surfer


The serene beauty of the rich blue waters glisten all around Bethany and her best friend Alana.
“Aren’t we so lucky to be able to come out here every day?”
One moment so perfect.

One moment,
 the blissful dullness of
normal.
So much is taken for granted.
People always say that you don’t know what you’ve got until its gone, which is very true.
But, what if you already do appreciate what you’ve got? Does that imply that you’ll be able to keep it?


“Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you will find. Knock and the doors will be opened.”
~Matthew 7:7

Just rocket off a little prayer to God to get what we want.
But it doesn’t always work that way. Sometimes things don’t go well.
No one asks for hard times. We usually ask for things that will make our lives better.

We live in a society in which we are rewarded for good performances and punished for bad decisions.
Karma.
It makes its way back around, so dot your i’s and cross your t’s. Right?

But then how do you explain trials?

Like when you’re sitting on the edge of the bed caressing the cold hand of someone you loved.
Or when you’re teenage son calls at two in the morning from juvenile hall.
Or when you find yourself lying in a hospital bed at the end of the day with one less limb that you started it with.

Trials come to everyone,
regardless of race, gender, social status, or
moral standing.

 “He makes His sun rise on the evil and the good
and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”
~Matthew 5:45
“He gives and takes away.
My heart will choose to say, blessed be the name of the Lord. “

I sang that song this morning at church with a smile on my face and twinkle in my eye.
Oh yes. God is so gracious. He pours out His blessings on me and lavishes me with His love.

It’s easy for me to say.
I haven’t endured any monumental trials yet.
But pray that when I do, I can find my hope and refuge in God.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said that his faith was weak, because of some very bad things that have happened in his life.
Sitting there listening to him I had no idea what to say.
Here I am, the Christian girl with all the answers.
I have to say something perfect. Oh God. Help me.

I have no answer for the trials that have befallen him.

Twenty four hours later my eyes glaze over as I sit in my Sunday school room. My friends and I marvel at God’s love and I suddenly realize that that is all that matters.
Delight yourself also in the Lord and
He shall give you the desires of your heart.”
~Psalm 37:4

I never understood this verse until recently. And then it came to me.
He will give me the desire of my heart, because He will be the desire of my heart.

I lived as a Christian for about fifteen years before ever desiring the Lord or feeling His joy in my heart.
If you’ve never felt it you have no idea what I’m talking about.
It’s inner peace and subtle undeniable love.
It’s satisfaction.
Once you’ve felt the joy of God there is nothing you can ever do on your own merit that will bring you to that still calm pinnacle of comfort.
The critical and most difficult thing to understand is that the joy of the Lord doesn’t necessarily correspond to circumstances in our lives.  



GOD, I don’t understand you.

I KNOW.

I love you.






No comments:

Post a Comment