Friday, March 11, 2011

rainbow feelin'

Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue,
and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.



You know that feeling you get when you do something great.
No, I’m not talking about a sense of accomplishment.
I’m talking about the surge of adrenaline, the rush of satisfaction you feel coursing through your veins. The pounding of your heart that rattles your brain and causes your fingers to tremble which reminds you that you are indeed very excited. What do you call this?
My brilliant student deemed it “the rainbow feeling”. I approve.


The only word that can be used to accurately describe
 the BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD 
is also the word that describes 
the most INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL NATURAL PHENOMENON, 
the word 
RAINBOW.  
__________________________________________________________________________________

The summer sun warms my mostly bare back and my wet toes hang over the rough edge of the long white diving board. The squealing of delighted kids fills the air and fades into the background as I focus on the rippling blue water. I slightly bend my knees and the board creaks as it starts to sway up and down. 
I take a deep breath and suddenly vault myself into the air straightening my knees and pointing my toes. 
I snap my head down, throw my arms around my tucked legs, hold my breath and squeeze my eyes shut as I brace myself. 

This is it. 

This feeling of being completely oblivious to everything and lost in the bliss of the moment consumes me.

And then, as suddenly as it began, it is over.

Abruptly my surroundings change and my senses are assaulted by the sudden coolness that envelops my body. As I venture to open my eyes I am overwhelmed by the piercing blueness of the water.

Time to swim out and do it again.
__________________________________________________________________________________

The familiar smell of zamboni exhaust fills my nostrils as my silver blades meet the hard, cold surface of the newly made ice. I zip my sweater up to my chin.

As I glide along the familiar glassy surface I hear my blades ripping into the glistening ice. My heart pounds inside my chest as is turn backwards and direct my gaze at the empty space 15 yards in front of me.

I hear the voices of doubt enter my head. “You know you’re going to fall again. I don’t even know why you’re trying this again. You’ll never be any good at skating.”

No! Don’t listen to that girl! She is a failure, and you are not. Break the cycle, right now!
I grit my teeth as lunge forward onto my left leg. Almost as reflex, my right leg and arm swing behind me. I squeeze my abs tight as I hurl my body into the empty air in front of me.

There! There it is again! That feeling of ecstasy.

My heart races and every muscle in my body is straining against the forces of centrifugal motion as they fight to keep me airborne for every last possible millisecond.  

Then, not a moment later, my entire body is sent sprawling across the ice and the familiar numbing pain throbs in my hip. I roll over, still sliding, and jump to my feet. 

That was the most EPIC feeling in the world.

Thank you GOD for 
RAINBOWS 
and the joy they bring.










No comments:

Post a Comment